Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Kato Bicycle Tour in Delta, Utah

After Topaz closed in 1945, the government sold the land, water rights, utility poles, water pipes, and the buildings on the site. Half of a barrack sold for $250. Half of a hospital wing sold for $500. The buildings were purchased and moved to locations all over the state of Utah. These are photos of barracks and hospital wings that were moved from Topaz to Delta.

Javascript is required to view this map.
  • This concrete marker was erected in Delta’s City Park in 1976.  Unfortunately, the closing date should read 1945, not 1946.

    Concrete Marker
    118 West Main Street
  • Location of Delta railroad depot. (The depot was demolished, but the foundation remains.)

    Delta Railroad Depot
    340 N 340 W
  • Palomar community center was the site for Topaz Talent shows.

    Palomar Community Center
    295 W 200 N
  • The corner house was part of the hospital and later remodeled into a home.

    Corner Home
    195 N 300 W
  • This house was also once part of the hospital.

    Hospital House
    350 W 200 N
  • Another part of the hospital.

    Another Hospital Home
    192 N 400 W
  • A partial barrack with two doors. A full barrack was 20 x 120 feet with three entries.

    Partial Barrack
    170 N 400 W
  • The center part of this house was part of the hospital.

    Hospital Building
    111 N 400 W
  • This tiny remodeled house was part of a barrack.

    Tiny Barrack House
    375 W 100 S
  • Dean’s was originally part of the Topaz hospital, then was used as an Odd Fellows hall, an American Legion meeting place and now a thrift shop.

    350 W 100 S
  • The lot between the house and the fence marks the spot of the Delta hospital, which could only accommodate 11 people. The hospital has been demolished.

    Delta Hospital Location
    220 S 200 W
  • This small house was also part of a barrack. Half of a barrack sold for $250 when the government closed the camp.

    Small Barrack House
    363 S 200 W
  • The corner house was part of a barrack that has been remodeled. 

    Remodeled Barrack House
    90 W 300 S
  • A section of this house was part of a barrack.

    Remodeled Barrack House
    140 W 200 S
  • This barrack has retained two of the original three doors.

    132 S 100 W
  • The Food Bank was a barrack that has been remodeled.

    Food Bank
    160 W 100 S
  • Delta’s high school during the war was on the east side of the city park. Talent exchanges brought big casts from Topaz to Delta audiences.

    Delta High Talent Exchange
    60 N 100 W
  • One of the few mess halls left in the area is located in the north side of Delta. Follow 100 West north to Shepherd Lane then turn onto 700 North. You will be able to see the structure from your car.

    Mess Hall
    650 N 100 W