- Topaz Camp
- News & Events
- Museum Project
- Digital Archive
After Topaz closed in 1945, the U.S. government dismantled the camp. The wood from the buildings was either stripped for recycling or the buildings were sold. Half of a barrack was sold for $250 and half of a hospital wing for $500. Utility poles were removed as were the water pipes, leaving ditches where they once were. The original barbed wire fence remains, although the four strands of wire sag in places. Still, the area reminds visitors of what was once the fifth largest city in Utah. The camp still has the outlines of where the barracks stood, rock gardens, and pathways. The Topaz Museum Board owns 634 acres of the site which will be preserved for historic and educational purposes.
After the war, Topaz buildings were sold to local residents
who used them for storage and even homes. This is a portion of one of the few mess halls left in the area.
Looking northwest near the
administration area at a small rock wall which deocrated the entrance.
Looking west toward Mt. Swasey and the Drum Mountains.
Scraps of wood and metal litter the site.
Grafitti found on a door of a barrack.
Sheetrock was use to insulate around the outside of the barracks. Some "lines" of the sheetrock remain to mark the exact location of barracks.
All the rocks used to make gardens had to be hauled into camp from the mountains.
This garden had two sunken barrels in the bottom of the area outline with rocks and cement.
Guard tower footings.
Topaz monument detail.